Just another trip to the fabric store

Do you ever do that thing where you go to fabric store with the intent of buying fabric for one very specific project, then leave the fabric store with enough fabric to …. but nothing for your project. Only to come home and find the perfect fabric for your project was in your stash all along???

This is what I do. ALL the time. It’s probably why I have way too much fabric.

On the flip side I am now seriously excited about the sewing I’ll be doing in the next couple of months. Here’s a run down of what I got.

Navy cashmere coating. This is lovely & soft, but it is a little on the thin side for a coat in Michigan so I’m looking at ways I can add some warmth. I bought a satin backed flannel for the lining, which might help a little with wind protection, and was thinking of interlining the coat with Thinsulate material as well.

Cashmere Wool Coating

This Italian wool. This wool is the opposite to the navy, it’s super thick & super warm. I want to make some kind of coat or cardigan type jacket with this, but I’m going to have to be very careful about the pattern selection. Because it’s so thick I don’t want to make a pattern with a lot of pieces or intersecting seams (I am going to struggle to get 4 layers of this wool under my sewing machine foot), plus I worry that would take away from such a lovely pattern. I will also need to get creative when it comes to picking closures & finishes for things like button holes.

Chunky Italian Wool Knit

Last of all was this woven geometric remnant. No idea what I’m going to make with it, but I fell in love with the fabric & figured I’ll use it for something! It’s only 3/4 of a yard, so I’m limited to skirts & tops I think.

Woven Geometric Fabric

Marfy 3520: Making a Muslin

This is my first time sewing a Marfy pattern* so I thought it best to make a muslin, to see how best to put it together (and of course check fit). I’m making Marfy 3520, it’s a dress pattern that I’ve long admired.

In general I was really happy with the first cut. The pattern came together like a dream – with the exception of setting in the sleeve, for some reason I found this quite tricky in this pattern. My only fitting complaint was the gaping fabric above my bust, so I made a full bust adjustment & it now feels a lot nicer.

slide3slide2

slide1

I’m not super happy with how the sleeves look though. Its more of a design issue that a fit issue really. I’m thinking I might shorten the sleeves to be elbow length and forego the flounce, but we’ll see.

Otherwise I think its time to cut this one out. The fabric I’m using is a checked wool suiting my Mum gave me a couple of years ago. For the accent features I’m thinking of using some thin black leather.

20170202_163822

*If you’re wondering how a Marfy pattern is different to a ‘regular’ sewing pattern read this.