This is one of my all time favorite easy weeknight dinners. It’s one of those fast & easy meals that you can quickly whip up by tossing everything in a casserole tray & popping it in the oven. It’s easy to scale & not very sensitive to quantities, so it really doesn’t matter if you only accidentally add 1/3 cup of balsamic instead of 1/4 cup. The best bit is that it tastes even better on the second night as leftovers – so make a double batch & save yourself an extra night of cooking!
Chicken, Olive and Potato Tray Bake
4 large potatoes (I like to use Yukon Gold)
700g Bone-In Chicken Thighs (or wings and drumsticks – the important thing is for the bone to be there)
4 Sprigs of Rosemary
A head of garlic
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F)
2. Cut the potatoes in half length ways and then slice into 1cm fingers. Arrange in a large casserole dish.
2. Arrange chicken on top of the potatoes. Scatter the olives, garlic cloves, rosemary and mushrooms evenly across the casserole dish
3. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the casserole dish
4. Mix the cornflour together with a little water and combine it with the stock and balsamic vinegar. Pour the mixture over the casserole.
5. Bake uncovered for 60-90 mins (until chicken thighs and potatoes are cooked through)
If you want to bulk it out with other things you may have in your fridge, I’ve found the following additions work well
Steamed greens (Beans, Brocolli, etc) – Steam these as you normally would & add them to the casserole just before serving. These can add a nice freshness to the dish.
Cauliflower – Cauliflower is an incredible flavor absorber and this recipe has loads of flavor!! You can put cauliflower florets in the tray to bake with the rest of the dish or make cauliflower rice & serve the casserole on a bed of cauliflower rice
Vegan\Vegetarian version – My mum makes a great vegan/vegetarian version for my dad by swapping the chicken for extra mushrooms & some firm tofu and replacing the chicken stock with vegetable stock.