So last week was my husband’s birthday & so to celebrate I took another swing at this Kyivskiy Dream Torte idea of mine & tried to address some of my concerns from the first iteration.
I was pretty happy with the results, there are still a couple of tweaks I want to make but all in all I think this version will be pretty close to the final version.
I didn’t think I changed that much until I sat down & read everything & realised I changed almost every element! Let’s start with the easy one, the chocolate hazelnut cream. In the last cake I first whipped the double cream with a whisk attachment in the stand mixer & then added the Nutella. This lead to the mixture almost looking curdled. So this time I took a different approach, I used the beater attachment instead of the whisk, I started by beating the hazelnut spread until it was a little smoother & less stiff. Then I started very slowly adding heavy whipping cream to the mix. This lead to a much softer, silkier dare I say more luscious chocolate hazelnut cream. I’m really happy with this part of the cake now so I’m going to leave it as is on future attempts.
For the cherries, unfortunately I had to use bottled Morello cherries in this cake so the flavor wasn’t the same as the fresh ones, but it’s winter in Michigan so I’ll have to make do. For this part I made the syrup the same way as last time but added xantham gum at the end to thicken the syrup & turn it into more of a sauce. This was the first time I’d ever used xantham gum so it took me a couple of attempts to get this right (I will admit my first attempt turned into a mucusy mess that was in no way appetising). In the end, because of the small amounts required & because I don’t have very accurate scales, I found the easiest way to control this was to first measure out a maximum amount – for me this was 1% by weight & this represented the amount of gum that would create a real mucus texture – then I slowly added a little bit at a time from that 1% & used a blender to mix it in. This way was much more effective for me to control the texture. I think I ended up with a ratio of around 0.5% but it wasn’t easy to tell. I was much happier with the texture of the sauce this time, but I think the flavor still needs a bit of a tweak for the bottled cherries.
Finally the meringue cake… I kept the meringue recipe from the original Lemon Dream Cake recipe, but for the cake version I went for a whole new recipe. I used this recipe for a Swiss Hazelnut cake. I really liked the flavor of this cake & it had a much more comparable cook time to the meringue cake so that helped. This recipe was mostly flour with a little bit of toasted hazelnut meal. The toasting process really helped to bring out the flavour of the hazelnuts without having to add a lot of them. This meant it wasn’t as heavy or as wet as the batter from the last recipe I used. One problem though was that this recipe was a sponge & so I had to be really careful when adding the meringue on top before baking so that the meringue wouldn’t sink in the cake batter. It came out pretty well, though I did over bake it so the meringue was overdone & cracked. Next time I’m going to be more diligent with the cooking time – I think I was just paranoid about the cake being raw.
I think I’m pretty close now. We have some friends coming over for dinner tomorrow, so I’m going to try to nail the flavours & textures in tomorrows version, then I’ll just have to work on the decoration! If all goes well I should have a recipe up on the blog next week.